Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Make Writing Your Only Plan by David Farland

During last week’s episode of “The Voice,” a reality television show where young singers compete for a recording contract, one of the judges, rock star Adam Levine, gave a critique of one singer’s performance. He said something that I thought was interesting. He told the young singer, “I love the fact that you give it your all. You have no backup plan, and that’s important. If you’re going to make it in this cutthroat business, you can’t have a backup plan.” This is something that I noticed long ago. Many people want to become writers, and many of them have a tremendous amount of talent. But almost always, the young writer decides that he needs a backup plan. For example, he might say, “I’ll take a job as a tech writer and plan to write on the side.” Or “I’ll take a job as a computer programmer or work as a dentist.” Eventually, the writer finds himself with a career, and his writing gets shoved back further and further in to the corners, never to escape. Very often, after years of regret, the writer will try to make a go of writing, but she’ll often find that the constraints of family expenses and the time involved just don’t allow for a transition to a writer’s life. The dream may soon be gone forever, becoming nothing more than regret. As a college student, I studied several things in my early years. I was a straight-A student in marketing and business management for a year, but then went to pre-med. Though I’d worked as a butcher when young, I found that I didn’t have the stomach to become a surgeon, and so I began looking seriously at my backup plan—writing. Perhaps I could make writing my primary plan and do something else if it didn’t work out. I quit studying medicine and dove into writing, thinking that if I couldn’t sell my writing, I’d perhaps take a job as an editor. Well, the writing career took off much faster than expected, and my “backup plans” were cast by the wayside. Oh, I do still do some editing and teaching but mainly for fun. A guy has got to get out of the house once in a while. But I keep myself focused on writing, and here’s my backup plan: more writing. By that I mean simply, I’m going to write what I like. And if that doesn’t work, I’ll write some more. I’m finishing the last book of the Runelords series, and then I’ll work on the next book in the Nightingale series. When I’m done with that, I have three other novels that I want to write, and a fourth that I’m hatching. I have faith that one of these projects will take off big. I’ve found that this is the only sane way to work in this business. Write, and then write some more. So if you see your writing as a backup plan, figure out how to make it your career. Give it a little more emphasis. Attack your writing with a little more ferocity. Whatever else you may be doing, whatever other occupation you have, start looking at it as your backup plan. If you’re stocking shelves in a grocery store, see it as a means to an end. Remember that you’re a writer first. You only stock shelves to pay the bills until your writing career takes off. Then make sure that each day, your writing takes precedence. That means that you start the day with your writing, when you’re full of energy and fresh ideas. You don’t try to do it just in those few stolen moments when you really “feel like it.” Start making money with your writing, and then make writing your only plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment