Saturday, November 17, 2012

Finding the Courage to Write by Dave Wolverton

I decided to begin writing at the age of 17. I bought a used typewriter and began my first fantasy novel--a story about a young wizard who goes to a magic school.
I was terrified that someone might actually read it, so I hid the manuscript under my mattress. I’ve sometimes imagined my mother’s reaction when, upon changing my sheets, she felt that suspicious pad of paper. “Oh, what kind of a twisted little pervert am I raising?” she might have wondered. Imagine her surprise when she pulled out the wad and found that instead of reading Playboy, I was writing a novel!
(I can hear her muttering under her breath, “What kind of twisted little nerd am I raising?”)
A year later, I moved out of the house--mainly so that I could write without getting caught. One day a friend dropped by and noticed my nicely typed manuscript sitting next to my typewriter. “Oh, you’re writing a book!” he said enthusiastically. “Let me see!” But as he reached for the manuscript, instinct took control, and I did a belly flop on the table in order to hide my labors.
That was many millions of words ago. Yet I see people with similar fears every day. Once a father brought his son to one of my signings, a young man who was secretly writing his own novel. Dad knew, and was trying to get him to come out of the closet.
A good friend of mine wrote five novels before he got the courage to submit one to a publisher. (It was a great book, and it became a bestseller!) A young author I met at a panel was shaking when she sat down. I asked if she was all right, and she said, “I’m afraid that they’ll know that I’m not really an writer.”
This fear of showing your work is common. It’s similar to one of our most fundamental fears--that of speaking in public. Oddly enough, surveys show that more people are afraid of speaking in public than of dying. But if you’re going to live your dream, if you’re going to become a bestseller, you need to show your work to the whole world. You’ll need to develop the guts to show your work to a critique group.
You’ll need to find the courage to send your story to an editor. You’ll need to find the inner resolve to read the reviews of critics, and to stand against the tides of public opinion. You’ll need to brave a book signing on a cold winter’s day when no one will show up. You’ll need to dig deep and find the strength to quit your day job and take the risk of making storytelling your profession. It won’t be comfortable. You might even regret it. But I suspect that you’ll regret it more bitterly if you never try.
So here’s writing tip number one: Begin developing courage today. Stop doing swan dives on your keyboard. If you’re really insecure, show your story to someone who loves you. Maybe you could tell your colleagues at work or at school that you want to be a writer. Tell your parents what you’ve got hidden under your mattress. If you feel safe enough, join a writing group. If you’re beyond that stage, send a manuscript out to an editor--a really scary one. But whatever you resolve to do, do it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment